Designed for locations with very high sustained winds, FireFly HW bird diverters are recommended by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Incorporating a swaying motion, reflectivity, and glowing light, FireFly HW has been shown in independent studies to be the most effective bird diverter (along with FireFly FF and BirdMark) in preventing bird strikes on power lines. FireFly HW also has a lower installed cost than coils.
FireFly HW saves birds, prevents damage, and avoids fines:
- Millions of birds and bats are killed each year in collisions with power lines, guy wires, and other thin profile obstructions.
- Utilities can be subject to large federal fines when protected species are killed.
- Bird strikes also cause power outages.
- Bird nests and droppings cause millions of dollars in damage each year to transformers and other electrical equipment.
Independent studies have shown FireFly bird diverters to be the most effective bird diverters on the market. They are also recommended by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and have a lower installed cost than coils. Furthermore, coils can entangle birds and are less effective at diverting birds, especially in low light at dawn and dusk.
FireFly HW Makes Hazards Visible to Birds
- Developed by an avian biologist and based on avian research.
- Rugged construction with no moving parts enhances durability in very high sustained winds. FireFly HW sways with the power line.
NOTE: For the vast majority of installations, FireFly FF should be used. It incorporates a heavy duty, stainless steel ball bearing swivel that spins in 3+ mph wind and is highly resistant to salt spray and adverse weather conditions.
- Research at Cornell University shows that birds can see both visible and ultraviolet light. FireFly is highly visible to birds in both the parts of the spectrum.
- Diamond bar material refracts sunlight and provides a “sparkle effect” visible to birds up to a quarter mile away.
- Luminescent material emits visible light for up to 12 hours after dusk, and in low light or fog conditions, when birds are most vulnerable.
- Impact resistant and UV-stablized acrylic “flapper” is 3.5″ x 6″, 1/8″ thick, and rated for temperatures from –30 F to 160 F.
Fast and Simple Installation
- FireFly HW installs in seconds on live lines up to 115 kV by hand, hot stick, or helicopter. Also safe to use on OPGW lines.
- FireFly HW is easy to remove and install as bird activity changes with the season.
- Recommended spacing is 30 feet between FireFly diverters.
- Patented and rugged SnapFast mounting clamp prevents line slippage on single or bundled cables. Choose from two sizes:
10–70 mm (0.39″–2.75″) P/N #FF-HW-SF10-704–16 mm (0.16″–0.63″) P/N #FF-HW-SF4-16
Starts at: $46.00