Patented FireFly FF bird diverters have been tested by EPRI are recommended by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Incorporating motion, reflectivity, and glowing light, FireFly FF has been shown in independent studies to be the most effective bird diverter in preventing bird strikes on power lines. FireFly FF also has a lower installed cost than coils. When serving as a hazing device, FireFly FF prevents costly damage to facilities.
FireFly FF saves birds, prevents damage, and avoids fines:
- Millions of birds and bats are killed each year in collisions with power lines, guy wires, and other thin profile obstructions.
- Utilities can be subject to large federal fines when protected species are killed.
- Bird strikes also cause power outages.
- Bird nests and droppings cause millions of dollars in damage each year to transformers and other electrical equipment.
Independent studies have shown FireFly bird diverters to be the most effective bird diverters on the market. They have been tested by EPRI are also recommended by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Furthermore, FireFly diverters have a lower installed cost than coils. Coils can also entangle birds and are less effective at diverting birds, especially in low light at dawn and dusk when birds are at peak risk.
FireFly FF can also be used to haze birds within a 30 foot radius from buildings and structures, preventing potentially costly damage.
FireFly FF Makes Hazards Visible to Birds
- Developed by an avian biologist and based on avian research.
- Spins in 1+ mph winds, increasing visibility for migrating birds and bats. Uses a heavy duty, stainless steel ball bearing swivel that is resistant to salt spray and adverse weather conditions.
NOTE: For very high sustained winds, FireFly HW with no moving parts (no swivel) should be used.
- Highly reflective decals refract sunlight and provide a “sparkle effect” visible to birds up to 1500 feet away.
- Research at Cornell University shows that birds can see both visible and ultraviolet light. FireFly is highly visible to birds in both the parts of the spectrum.
- Diamond bar material refracts sunlight and provides a “sparkle effect” visible to birds up to a quarter mile away.
- Luminescent material emits visible light for up to 16 hours after dusk, and in low light or fog conditions, when birds are most vulnerable.
- Impact resistant and UV-stablized acrylic “flapper” is 3.5″ x 6″, 1/8″ thick, and rated for temperatures from –40 F to 158 F.
- FireFly FF installs in seconds on live lines up to 115 kV by hand, hot stick, or drone. Also safe to use on OPGW lines. For installation by drone, contact us.
Fast and Simple Installation
- FireFly FF installs in seconds on live lines up to 115 kV by hand, hot stick, or helicopter. Also safe to use on OPGW lines.
- FireFly FF is easy to remove and install as bird activity changes with the season.
- Recommended spacing is 30 feet between FireFly diverters.
- Patented and rugged SnapFast mounting clamp prevents line slippage on single or bundled cables. Choose from two sizes:
10–70 mm (0.39″–2.75″) P/N #FF-SF10-70
4–16 mm (0.16″–0.63″) P/N #FF-SF4-16
Starts at: $51.00